Miscarriage is all too common in the human population, occurring in up to 25% of all recognized pregnancies. Products of Conception (POC) testing is a genetic test that can provide information for the cause of miscarriage. The majority of miscarriages are caused by chromosome abnormalities. POC testing is done on tissue from the lost pregnancy and evaluates the chromosomes.
In couples in which there has been a spontaneous abortion it is crucial to know the cause.
There are 23 pairs of chromosomes in each human cell. A change in the number of chromosomes is called aneuploidy. Most types of aneuploidy are not compatible with life and are likely to result in miscarriage. POC testing includes comprehensive analysis of all 24 chromosome types. POC testing can detect whether the pregnancy had an abnormal number of chromosomes (aneuploidy) that might have caused the miscarriage.
The information from POC testing can be helpful for patients and physicians to understand the cause of miscarriage and to develop a plan to support a future successful pregnancy.
- Quick turnaround time- Typically 24~72 hours after sample receipt.
- No need for tissue culture.
- More reliable results- Maternal cell contamination and poor growth not an issue for our method.
- Fewer false negative results-more than 60% of specimens definitively diagnosed compared to about 50% with conventional karyotyping.
- Well accepted by genetics experts as an alternative to karyotyping.